Licensed Practical Nurse Job Requirements
The Legacy Licensed Practical Nurse is responsible for assisting in the delivery of
patient care through the nursing process of assessment, nursing diagnosis,
planning, implementation and evaluation. Under the supervision of the RN(s), the
LPN performs patient education and activities that commensurate with his/her
education, demonstrated competencies, and scope of practice.
• Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing
• One (1) or more years clinic experience preferred
• Current licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Licensed Vocational Nurse
• Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) within the state
• Current CPR certification
• Under supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN), assists in the assessment of the
physical, psychological and social social aspects of patients.
• Assists in planning an individual treatment plan by using available resources in
planning care, and consults with RNs and other staff as appropriate while applying
knowledge and resources in planning care and patient teaching.
• Implements individualized treatment plans as directed by the Health Care
• Count controlled medications, and maintain control for keys, tools, etc. based on
• Implements clinical and technical aspects of care in accordance with established
policies, procedures and protocols. Intervenes with proper safety techniques,
procedures and standard precautions.
• Responds to a emergencies or patient healthcare crisis within standard guidelines.
• Implements medical plan through administering medications in accordance with
Provider orders. Administers medications according to proper techniques and
procedures including IV therapy (when certified) and all other approved routes of
administration. Uses pharmacy knowledge and available resources to include drug
reaction and overdose in administration of medications.
• Implements medical plans through obtaining diagnostic tests in accordance with
Health Care Practitioners orders and protocols: Obtains body fluid specimens and
performs EKG's using proper techniques and procedures. Communicates
information to ancillary departments using established referral process.
• Assists the Health Care Provider in medical or minor surgical procedures as
• Implement nutrition and therapeutic diet plan through proper techniques and
standard procedures or as ordered by Health Care Provider.
• Documents nursing encounters using the narrative or SOAP form of charting.
• Communicates information to nursing staff, physician, health care unit supervisory
personnel and other staff as necessary.
• Respects dignity and confidentiality of patients.
• Attends mandatory staff meetings and training.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain security clearance.
• Must be able to apply principles of critical thinking to a variety of practical,
emergent, urgent and non-urgent situations.
• Must be able to apply sound nursing judgment.
• Must be alert at all times; pay close attention to details.
• Must be able to work under stress on a regular or continuous basis.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Legacy is an EO Employer